Re: Baptisa/ Amsonia

Two of the amsonia in gardens here germinated seeds beneath their foliage. First time I have had it happen in the years they have been here. I will be leaving them until next near and dig them, divide and pot for growing on. They should be ready by next fall. The few times I collected amsonia seed, it germinated like water cress when sown fresh... just they begin so small and take to long to really look good in a container of any size.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

----- Original Message ----- From: <kmrsy@netzero.net>
I have an Amsonia tabernaemontana that I'd like to move but can't. I
planted it years ago a foot or two from the southeast edge of a maple.
It's gotten too shady in recent years so it doesn't flower as well, but
I can't get a shovel into the soil there.

I collected seed from it one year and they germed easily and grew well,
but I gave many away and sold the rest. I tried again last year but it
was a wet summer and, being shaded, I don't think the seed was viable;
not one came up. I'd like to try again one of these days.