Re: Baptisa

Gene, the deer population in this area may be close to the human
population.  Until about 20 years ago, we saw deer occasionally.
In the years since, the populations - both deer and human - have
exploded.  We have an acre on a wooded hillside, and the small
cul-de-sac community - now grown to 12 houses, is bounded on
one side by Con-Ed's power lines and on the other by the Blue
Mountain Reservation - a county-owned undeveloped park area.
Beyond that was another large undeveloped area where my sons
had eight miles of dirt-bike trails.  That piece of property has now
been developed with million-dollar Mcmansions.  There is no
hunting allowed in Westchester County, so the only control of
the deer is being struck by cars.  As for their being starving -
forget it.  These deer are so fat and well-fed that each doe
usually produces twins each year. Many people use electric
fences, or even eight-foot chain-link fences.  One of our neighbors
tried both, with poor results.  Our property is such that it would be
almost impossible to fence.  Deer are just something we have to
learn to live with.  I was once able to grow Baptisia, to say nothing
of day lilies, hostas, roses, and all those other good things.  Now
I have a vew hostas in a protected area near my doorstep - and the
deer have stood on the doorstep and reached over the fence to
nibble.  Just be thankful you don't have this problem.

In a message dated 07/27/2005 8:37:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,