Re: Money Tree...

Your source must be MoBot. There's a lot of confusion around this plant. MoBot says it's a humongus tree that grows in [where? Amazon basin? I forget] and nearly every one else says, no, it's this smallish tree from Guyana or India [it's also called Malabar chestnut as well as Guyana chestnut and French peanut] or some place else. It's all very confused and muddled--but rest assured, the one sold as the "money tree" is the smaller tree that produces the smaller fruits.

On Jul 27, 2005, at 11:38 AM, Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center wrote:

My reference says most of what Jim related. However, it mentions the fruits
are a foot long and 6inches round. Pretty heavy load for a bonsai. ;+)

Kitty
----- Original Message -----
From: "james singer" <islandjim1@verizon.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 3:57 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Money Tree...

Enlarged caudex is normal, Bonnie. They have to be fairly large to
produce fruit, I think [but not sure]. The one at Selby Botanical
Garden is 10-12 feet and regularly produces fruit. Fruits are
large-avocado sized pods that are full of cherry sized nuts that should
be roasted before eating. They taste something like chestnuts. Give
them light and adequate moisture; I don't know of any problems with
them, but I'd keep an eye out for the usual houseplant suspects--spider
mites, mealy bugs, etc, and if found, wash them off.