From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 8:15 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Baptisa

Gene, the deer population in this area may be close to the human
population.  Until about 20 years ago, we saw deer occasionally. In the
years since, the populations - both deer and human - have
exploded.  We have an acre on a wooded hillside, and the small
cul-de-sac community - now grown to 12 houses, is bounded on
one side by Con-Ed's power lines and on the other by the Blue Mountain
Reservation - a county-owned undeveloped park area. Beyond that was
another large undeveloped area where my sons had eight miles of
dirt-bike trails.  That piece of property has now been developed with
million-dollar Mcmansions.  There is no hunting allowed in Westchester
County, so the only control of the deer is being struck by cars.  As for
their being starving - forget it.  These deer are so fat and well-fed
that each doe
usually produces twins each year. Many people use electric fences, or
even eight-foot chain-link fences.  One of our neighbors tried both,
with poor results.  Our property is such that it would be almost
impossible to fence.  Deer are just something we have to learn to live
with.  I was once able to grow Baptisia, to say nothing of day lilies,
hostas, roses, and all those other good things.  Now I have a vew hostas
in a protected area near my doorstep - and the deer have stood on the
doorstep and reached over the fence to nibble.  Just be thankful you
don't have this problem. Auralie

In a message dated 07/27/2005 8:37:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,