Re: URGENT: cost for individual medical insurance

Chris,

If you'll be a consultant instead of an employee, you may qualify for a
health savings account. http://www.treas.gov/offices/public-affairs/hsa/

Our local consumer guru recommends them with the following:
"The gotchas of joining an HSA
Clark is a big advocate of Health Savings Accounts or HSAs, a new form of
health coverage for which more than one million people have signed up. The
most interested are the self employed and small business owners, but more
corporations are starting to offer HSAs to employees, as well. Basically,
members pay a $1,000 deductible up front and, in return, their premiums go
down over time. At the same time, members can put money into a tax- free
HSA, which earns interest and can be used down the road to pay for
healthcare. It changes things because the member becomes the customer, not
the company supplying the insurance. The problem is that some companies
charge a significant amount to open an account. The Web site hsafinder.com
lists the 10 worst companies out there today, and the worst one charges a
$235 fee annual fee. So, if you open an account with $1,000, you immediately
have only $765. Other companies charge no fee at all and those are the
companies you want to join. When you're setting up your HAS, be aware of
what charges are involved. There shouldn't be any! "

It won't take care of the routine stuff, but it should take care of the
gotcha, while reducing premiums. It seems to work for friends who don't go
to the doctor a lot.