Re: URGENT: cost for individual medical insurance

HI Chris-

I would strongly urge having some type of medical insurance- at least "major medical" which is catastrophic coverage. Most major insurers now offer individual coverage (and it may not be any more expensive than the COBRA you can get). Many insurers now have website to get you started on what types of individual plans are available based on your zip code. Check out Kaiser, Blue Cross, HealthNet, and any other large insurance companies you know of in your area or that your primary care doctor accepts for payment. Also, check with your auto/homeowners insurer. For example, I know State Farm offers some type of health insurance.

Also- I found this link which might help-

Good luck-

Christopher P. Lindsey wrote:

Hi everyone,

  I'm hoping someone here knows the answer to this question.

  How much should I expect medical insurance to cost me if I quit my
  current job and go into private consulting?

  As some of you know, I've been having problems at work for the past
  six months or so (which is what brought on talk of starting a nursery,
  restaurant, etc.)  Because I'm a manager at NCSA (National Center for
  Supercomputing Applications) they want me there 8-5, but they also
  want me to do all of the after-hours work that I used to do before
  being promoted three years ago.  That means that I have to work 8-5
  every day plus 1-5am as often as every other day.

  I think it's a raw deal and want to get out.  Fortuitously,
  an opportunity presented itself today.   I was asked how much I
  would charge per month to be on retainer as a consultant, but
  I have no idea how much health insurance costs for a single 34
  year-old non-smoking guy without much of a medical history.

  Can anyone help?  I have to have an answer pretty soon!