plant combinations

In past discussions people have told about serendipitous plant
combinations - things that looked especially good together even
though they had not been planned that way.  That does happen
often but this year I have twice experienced the opposite. I don't
know a word for it, but combinations that just don't work.  I had
always accepted the theory that colors in nature never really
clashed - flower colors would always harmonize.  But this spring
my orange poppies bloomed at the same time as my 'Gay Paree'
peony - never happened before - and the orange poppies were
a terrible combination with the fuschia peony.  Of course, both
bloomed more lavishly than ever before.  Oh well, these things
happen.  But now it has happened again.  My Canada lilies
(Lilium canadense) are just making a mass of orange when
up pops a cosmos from a mixed package that is brilliant purple.
It is a very large, handsome cosmos - bigger both in bloom and
in height than the rest of the bunch which are mostly soft pinks and
whites - but it stands right up against the orange lilies.  Ouch!  I
guess I will have to cut the cosmos back until the lilies have done
with their blooming.  Never had this problem before.  It must be
an effect of global warming.
Auralie