Re: Epsom Salts

If your soils need extra lime, they should sell it in convenient bags at the garden center, either ground limestone or dolomitic lime, which contains Magnesium as Epsom salts does. If you don't find it locally, it usually means that your soils have plenty.

Hope you're healing well.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Theresa W." <tchessie1@sbcglobal.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, July 03, 2006 4:34 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Epsom Salts

You inspired me to pick up some Epsom salts when I was at the drug store
today getting various paraphenalia for my sinus surgery follow-up.  I
should also put down some calcium stuff for my tomatoes too- pretty sure
something in the garage has calcium- bone meal I'm thinking.  Yeah- I
know I could just use eggshells- but for the next month everything is
going to be done the easiest way possible until I get all my energy
back.  Went into work for about an hour and a half today- didn't do
much, just said hi, and threw away stuff on my desk.  Technically I'm
still on medical leave, but I wanted to ease back into it.  So- I have 2
more weeks of not leaning over (I have to squat down) and not lifting
anything heavier than my purse.  So, by then the garden should be a
complete jungle and weed patch!

Theresa

Pam Evans wrote:
I use it (Epsom salts) on my peppers, about every other month when they are
blooming and fruiting. I mix crushed eggshells into the the soil before I
plant them and top dress twice during the summer and once in fall. Prevents
blossom end rot. Should work w/ tomatoes too. Use coffee grounds on the
gardenia and camellia for the acidifying effect.

Epsom Salts = Magnesium Sulfate, something plants would definitely
appreciate.
I sprinkled it around roses years ago, but haven't used it since.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5