From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Kitty
Sent: Sunday, July 09, 2006 2:01 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Jb magnets

Years ago I kept a yellow rose as my indicator plant that let me know when
Japanese beetles began arriving.  Eventually I started noticing their other
preferences and have removed them.  I got rid of Purple Loosestrife for many
reasons, but evicting many JBs with them was the real pleasure.  Pussy
Willows were the next to go.  This year it will be the Blue Satin Rose of
Sharon; again for more than one reason.

The blue flowers were the attraction for me.  I knew I might be taking a
chance because JBs loved my double ROS when I had it on the other side of
the yard and they devoured the white ROS that was 10 feet from the blue
one's placement.  I hoped though I could keep an eye on it.  However, the
other two ROS never, ever gave me a single volunteer plant, but Blue Satin
seeds like a maniac everywhere.  The other two ROS have been ripped out and
now, with the arrival of swarms of JBs on this one, it's gonna be a goner,
too.  Can't do much at the moment though as a Clematis is using it for
support (it's about 7 feet now), but it is coming out this year.  ROS, never

neIN, Zone 5