From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Christopher P. Lindsey
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 8:04 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Heronswood letter

> Unsubscribe request wasn't offered in my letter.

Mine didn't have one either, so I created my own.  ;)

> I'll probably do it
> later. They tried to make it sound all wonderful and improved, but I
> tend not to believe Burpee.  Wow....500 plants - nothing compared to
> what Hwood offered before they got their mitts on it.  And I expect
> they won't be as unusual. I'm still kicking myself for not ordering
> the Aconitum vine Hwood had. Where will I ever find that again?

Which Aconitum was it?  I know Dan had a couple.

> Flooded basement?  What a shame.  Did you have a pump for it?
> Everything ok now?

I'm still not sure what happened; I think it was a combination of lots of
different things.  It looks like the gutters *and* the sump pump both
drained into an underground drainage field, but the drainage field looks
like it's plugged up.  To make things worse, it looks like the guy who redid
the sump system last time only put a check valve on the main pump, but not
on the backup.  So...  I suspect that the drain field became too full and
the water went back down through the pipe into the basement.

Anyhow, I found it all when I got back from Chicago around 2am one Monday
morning.  I definitely didn't want to deal with it then.  :( I moved the
furniture upstairs, pumped out the water, and then used a shop vac to suck
out the carpet.

The deep freeze, dehmudifier, and weight machine don't work and I lost some
pictures and stuff.

I bought a new, bigger dehumidifier (and one for my parents' place too),
installed them, and put about six box fans on the floor.  The place dried
out pretty quickly.

I also redid all of the sump piping myself (this way I know exactly what was
done) and installed a water-powered sump pump as a backup.  It uses water
pressure to create suction, removing water in a 2:1 ratio with city water.

Chris