Re: flooding was Heronswood letter

I thought of you on Wednesday as I drove through Illinois dodging small but heavy downpours. Was hoping that none of them would douse you again.

Can you get some sort of restitution from the guy that botched the job? It's bad enough to lose equipment, but photos are a tragedy.

I'm still not sure what happened; I think it was a combination of lots of
different things.  It looks like the gutters *and* the sump pump both
drained into an underground drainage field, but the drainage field looks
like it's plugged up.  To make things worse, it looks like the guy who
redid the sump system last time only put a check valve on the main pump,
but not on the backup.  So...  I suspect that the drain field became too
full and the water went back down through the pipe into the basement.

Anyhow, I found it all when I got back from Chicago around 2am one
Monday morning.  I definitely didn't want to deal with it then.  :(
I moved the furniture upstairs, pumped out the water, and then used
a shop vac to suck out the carpet.

The deep freeze, dehmudifier, and weight machine don't work and I lost
some pictures and stuff.

I bought a new, bigger dehumidifier (and one for my parents' place too),
installed them, and put about six box fans on the floor.  The place dried
out pretty quickly.

I also redid all of the sump piping myself (this way I know exactly what
was done) and installed a water-powered sump pump as a backup.  It uses
water pressure to create suction, removing water in a 2:1 ratio with
city water.