Re: annuals in hot weather

Theresa and Pam, thanks for info. Especially interested in your Cosmos report of coming back again once it got cooler. So far mine have died after the heat, but perhaps had not gotten enough water earlier as the ones I just removed did not have good root systems. I'm pretty sure my scabiosa will bloom more, have just deadheaded it --
--Barb, Grass Valley CA
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2006 5:25 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] annuals in hot weather

My scabiosas bloom less in summer than in spring and fall, but they do bloom
if deadheaded. Cosmos bloom sporadically in summer but perk up again once
it gets back under 100 during the day and back to 70 at night. Ditto on the
deadheading. The blue daze and Madagascar periwinkles do just fine all
summer as do zinnias. I still have one Texas bluebonnet blooming but it's
about to bite the dust, which is normal. Most of them croaked a month ago.
Oh and portulaca does great as well in the hot weather. Anything that can
stay alive this summer is a real trooper, believe me.
Back out to move the hose.....
Sorry about your fountain Theresa, that really stinks!