Re: Banana growers question

Donna- the wind does tatter my banana leaves regularly, they just sort of rip, but keep living here anyway. I haven't ever cut of leave during the summer, only in winter do I chop the whole plant down to about a foot above the ground. I would assume you would prune the leaf stem off down near the trunk. I'm sure it will bleed some (they are very juicy plants), but should scar over and be fine. Not the banana expert though- that would be Dave F. and he's busy raising his hibs, so not on the list right now. Sorry.

Donna wrote:
On impulse, I bought that darn banana tree (is it considered a tree?).
With the storms of late, lost a few leaves. Well they are there but
tattered and turning brown. Thinking about pruning, but not sure how.
how close do you cut the stem to the trunk? at the base of the leaf or
the base of the trunk?

Sorry, midwesterner here and haven't a clue of the proper way to do it - or what each area is really called on the plant.