Re: was weather/ now mystery herb

I think I found it!  Perilla frutenscens

http://altnature.com/gallery/perilla.htm

Mine is actually much more attractive than this picture, but it
certainly sounds like the same plant.  On of my herb books calls it
"shiso", and in another place "zi su", and does indicate both medicinal
uses (since AD500 in China) and that the leaves are used for cooking.