Hello to everyone

HI All,

I just finished reading everyone's posts from the last few weeks! I really
don't like getting so far behind.  When you read so many posts at once,
things start to get blurry, so I may get some details mixed up!

Nice garden photos everyone!  Karen, where do you live?  I love that
clematis.  I'll have to hunt one down if it grows here.

I've grown perilla here for years and I even have let it seed into a
triangular bed as a dramatic focal point.  This year I got tired of that bed
and I had to resort to using Preen to keep it from seeding in.  I still let
it grow in clumps wherever I want that deep purple foliage.  I pull it out
when it flowers sometime in the fall. The chore is enjoyable because I find
the fragrance pleasing. I like to pot it up as a give-away plant for
visitors (with instructions about how it reseeds of course).

Ceres, the convention and three open garden days ended on Sunday.  It was an
absolute success on all fronts! We all worked our tails off, but everything
went smoothly for our 480 attendees.

My open garden days were such a high!  My son became my garden helper a few
days beforehand.  He and my HUSBAND( the one who doesn't do anything garden
related) moved the rock pile that sat at the entrance to the house, filled a
20 yard dumpster to overflowing, removed fallen limbs and leaf piles, etc. I
had a list of tasks to be done and my son, Jaron, just did them one by one!
I was still doing the entire garden cleanup from dawn until dusk!  It's
almost done.  Isn't there always something that you just don't get around to
doing?  All my containers looked lovely, the lilium perfumed the air, the
birds were singing, the daylilies in peek bloom, and butterflies danced over
our heads!

There were at least 150 people here during the three days hailing from over
24 states and Canada! I had potted up annuals and perennials from cuttings
and divisions and gave away plants to anyone who could get them home.
People loved taking home a plant.

I will post some photos eventually.  I am helping with the convention
photography and I have so many to label and send to our journal editor.  I'm
also writing up and photographing some of the open gardens (which I have yet
to visit). I do want to deadhead my perennials and weed real soon. I've seen
more weeds this year than I can remember in the past, probably due to our
spring rains. We've had some hot dry weather as well, so I have had to drag
hoses around. I've got to get irrigation to the whole garden someday!

That's all for now.  Off to bed,

Chris Petersen
Northport, Long Island, New York
 Zone 7a (Average min temp 50 - 00)