From: Bonnie & Bill Morgan <wmorgan972@ameritech.net>
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2006 9:20:38 AM
Subject: [CHAT] Plumb harvest...

The plumb tree we planted about 10 years ago delivered plumbs I could
harvest for the first time this year.  In the past (once the tree was old
enough to really produce) either spring frost would take care of killing off
the blossoms or there just wouldn't be many plumbs and/or the critters would
eat them all.

This year, the tree was absolutely loaded with small red plumbs lining
nearly every branch.  Those on the lower branches fell pray to many of the
storms with heavy winds and ended up on the ground (which the critters in
the area have been enjoying...(even one of our bulldogs who found it unwise
to eat green plumbs.)  DH got out the 12 foot ladder for me and the 8'
aluminum ladder and we climbed up into the tree and retrieved a good 15lbs
of the small red plumbs.  Not having been able to sample any before, we
washed some up and took a bite.  The are the juiciest, sweetest plumbs I've
tasted.  DH isn't a big fan of plumbs, but he likes these!  I am so tickled!
I would have thought them to be too small for much flesh, but the seeds are
also very small.

I need to find some good plumb recipes!

Blessings,
Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)