Re: Feline Theft

This was a great article. I'd love to see a picture of the clothes line with all the gloves hanging from it.

Theresa

james singer wrote:
Love it.

On Jul 22, 2006, at 1:23 PM, Zemuly Sanders wrote:

I got the following article from a friend in New York City, and I thought all
of you would get a kick out of it. Enjoy.
zem

By JIM FITZGERALD
Associated Press Writer

PELHAM, N.Y. (AP) -- A pink and white gardening glove was missing
from Jeannine Goche's front porch. But there was absolutely no
mystery about who had taken it.

Willy, the cat who loves gloves, had struck again.

"It has to be him," Goche said. "I've heard about him."

As if the gardeners of Pelham don't have enough to worry about, with
the rocky soil and the slugs and the big trees that cast too much
shade, a feline felon has been sneaking into their backyards and
carrying off at least two dozen gardening gloves.

Goche's flower-patterned glove may soon take its place on the
clothesline that's strung across the front fence at Willy's home in
this village just northeast of New York City, which he shares with
Jennifer and Dan Pifer, their 19-month-old son, Hudson, and a mutt
named Peanut Chew.

Above the line is a sign that says: "Our cat is a glove snatcher.
Please take these if yours."

Nine pairs of gardening gloves and five singles were strung up
Thursday morning. Willy, looking innocent, was playing with a beetle
in the driveway and occasionally dashing after Hudson.

"This all started about the time people began working in their
gardens, I guess March or April," Jennifer Pifer said. "Willy would
just show up with a glove, or we'd see them on the front steps. I
guess it's better than if he was bringing home dead birds."

She doesn't know how far Willy goes to find a glove, but she has
learned it takes him two trips to bring home a matched pair.

Willy, born to a stray last spring, appears to assemble his
collection in daytime raids.

"Mostly it happens on weekends, I guess when people are out
gardening," Pifer said.

John Cassone, who lives and gardens across the street, said he isn't
missing any gloves. He uses "the big, heavy leather kind" and figures
Willy isn't strong enough to drag them away.

Guess again: There's a pair of the big, heavy leather kind among
Willy's trophies.

In winter, when gardening gloves are hard to find, Willy doesn't
become a mitten kitten. His offseason prey is dirty socks from the
laundry room.

Despite his criminal nature, neighbors get a kick out of Willy.
Cassone said the cat likes to accompany the mailman up and down the
block, all the way to each front door.

Since Pifer grows flowers, vegetables and herbs herself, isn't she
tempted to make use of the endless supply of garden gloves that
arrive at her doorstep free, shipping included?

"No," she said. "I do a lot of gardening but I don't use gloves."
--

Island Jim
Southwest Florida