james singer wrote:
For all the complaining we do about the monsoon, it seems preferable to the dry-heat, no-rain. The cats have even decided that going out in the sprinkles is kinda okay, as long as they can get back in when the deluge starts.

Finished up "processing" the last of the mangos and started picking avocados. Going to make a couple of loaves of whole-grain wheat and mango bread tomorrow, I think. Easy to do and makes nice breakfast toast.

On Jul 24, 2006, at 11:17 AM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:

Husband said he'd just open the BBQ and toss on steaks, no need to light it.
My poor dogs are digging enormous holes anywhere there's shade, trying to
find a cool spot to lie in. My lab has a wading pool he likes but Trixie
won't go in it. I turned on the water for the back fence and it filled up a
big hole she'd dug near a pine tree, and that was okay, she splashed around
in there for a while. I figured letting her get muddy was not such a big
deal considering.

Cyndi

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Theresa W.
Sent: Sunday, July 23, 2006 1:04 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Lazy weekend

I can sympathize Cyndi. And if you were canning anything in the kitchen on
a day like today, I think they'd send the men with the funny white coats for
you! It is way to hot to turn on a stove. All cooking here could be
accomplished by simply throwing raw meat onto the sidewalk.
I'm sure it would be done in no time! When it gets to hot that I have to
wear shoes outside or else I really will burn the bottom of my feet on the
pavement- then that is just too much. Stay cool and enjoy your books.

Theresa

Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:
Temperature is in the hundreds again for the weekend and I am, as they
say, not doing jack. I picked zucchini, okra, and tomatoes yesterday
morning, pulled a couple weeds, and that was it. Today I went out just
to see what was up and something bit me on the thigh - probably an
ant, since I was sitting on the ground in a shady spot. My whole thigh
hurts like anything, I ended up taking an antihistamine hoping it
would help. You'd think I'd know better than to sit outside wearing
shorts, but apparently not.
I decided not to go hiking yesterday morning and my friend called last
night hoping I'd go today. Don't think so, I said and then she
admitted it was over 90 when they went yesterday morning at 6 am. She
has this enormous Alaskan malamute and I told her it was insane to
take him into the hills in this kind of heat. I think she actually
listened.
A thunderstorm moved in yesterday afternoon and muttered at us for an
hour or so, but no rain. At least the temps dropped into the high 90s
while the cloud cover was there. Maybe we'll get it again today, but
so far it's clear.
I have a lot of preserving to get done for my fair entries but I just
can't bring myself to get into the kitchen. Gaah. I may have to take a
couple days off to get it done, my time window is shrinking rather
dramatically.
So in the end I'm managing only to read a few books and check the
computer.
I feel like the wicked witch..."I'm melting! I'm melting!". I LIKE the
heat, but this is excessive.

Cyndi

Island Jim
Southwest Florida