Re: Recipe, was Lazy weekend

On Jul 24, 2006, at 7:30 PM, Theresa W. wrote:

> Care the share the recipe for that bread?  Sounds yummy!
> Theresa

Just a simple quick bread recipe, Theresa. I could never get the
chemistry right for whole grain yeast bread and finally quit trying. It
doesn't matter whether you add the raisins and walnuts or not. I
substitute 1 cup of fruit puree for 1 cup of buttermilk and, if the
fruit is really sweet [like mango], I omit the honey.

Whole Wheat Quick Bread

	2	cup	Whole-grain whole wheat flour
	1	tsp 	Baking powder
	1	 tsp	Baking soda
	1	 tsp	Salt
	1	 lrg	     Egg
	2	 cup	Buttermilk
	1-1/2	tbs	Butter; melted
	1/2	cup	Walnuts; chopped
	3	tbs	     Light molasses or honey
	1/2	cup	Dark seedless raisins

Grease a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix flour,
baking powder, baking soda and salt. Beat egg in a large bowl. Stir in
buttermilk, molasses (or honey) and butter. Stir in flour mixture. Mix
in walnuts and raisins. Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake 45-55
minutes, or until bread is well browned. Remove from oven and place on
a wire rack to cool. Makes 1 loaf.

> james singer wrote:
>> For all the complaining we do about the monsoon, it seems preferable
>> to the dry-heat, no-rain. The cats have even decided that going out
>> in the sprinkles is kinda okay, as long as they can get back in when
>> the deluge starts.
>>
>> Finished up "processing" the last of the mangos and started picking
>> avocados. Going to make a couple of loaves of whole-grain wheat and
>> mango bread tomorrow, I think. Easy to do and makes nice breakfast
>> toast.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W