Re: Black Swallowtail Caterpillars/ First time here

While out working in the gardens yesterday we received quite a treat.
On both the zinnia and the butterfly bush was a giant swallowtail. Never seen one before here. To have two adults the first sighting was something. Right along side the giants was the "normal" swallowtails in abundance. Now to do our homework and see all about their life cycle so we can help to see that they are here again next year.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

Good question. I've concluded that the starts in the box stores are usually sweet anise or fennel. Sweet anise, incidentally, is also a terrific host for the black swallowtail, but it's not dill.