Re: fungi

Don't know the name, but if it's anything like the orange cup shaped ones here they literally smell like death. Don't disturb them whatever you do or they;ll be everywhere!
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 7:48 AM
Subject: [CHAT] fungi

Is anyone here a mycologist? Beside the path back to my compost heap
there has appeared quite a lot of fungi that I never saw before. These are
small - maybe half an inch to an inch, flat to cup-shaped structures of a
brilliant red-orange color. I tried to take a picture of them, but couldn't
get anything that I thought would be helpful - I'm not much good with
the fancy digital camera my son gave us - did far better with my old
SLR. I have looked in the picture-book of mushrooms and such that
I haveh bit the one that most closely resembles what I have just says
"A species closely related to that in plate 132." Plate 132 is
Peziza umbrina, but that doesn't help me any. These are growing on
a rather steep, dry, shaded bank in a wooded area. I'm really curious
about them.
Auralie