Re: Recipe source

Meat isn't such a bad thing - everything in moderation as they say. I have low blood protein so I bruise easily and my feet have a tendency to swell when I don't get enough protein. The doctor prescribed more meat. Yes I suppose I could dine on lentils and beans until they came out my ears, but I'd rather have a bit of ham or beef.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 1:15 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Recipe source

In my 20's I slowly became more vegetarian. I grew up in a "meat and
tatos" family (midwestern farmers) and my family always had a side of
beef in the freezer. If I eat ANY meat at all now, it's poultry or fish.
Mostly fish. But now I have to be careful because of the amount of
mercury they are finding in fish. *sigh* People ask me how I stay so
thin....I don't eat much meat. I eat lots and lots of veggies and fruit.
I love carbs, but I don't pig out on them. My youngest step-daughter has
been struggling with her weight for a long time...I finally challenged
her last month...I told her to stop eating so much meat, and completely
STOP eating red meat for 3 months and see what happens. She is thinning
down already. Red meat has a lot of fat, and is the hardest meat for
your body to digest.

 What goes around... I guess. Back when I was younger, and knew a whole
lot more than I know now, my doctor recommended a vegetarian diet based
on beans and rice. Fortunately, I knew better--and continued my
carnivore habits until I reached a svelte 220 or more pounds.

Now that I'm more mature and have reached my senses--and made a truce,
if not a peace, with them--I'm mostly following Lackner's advice.
Beans, rice, chili peppers, tomatoes, onions, garlic, and [ahem] lamb
chops.

The lamb chops were my idea, not Jerry's.