Re: Recipe source

I grew up with different eating habits from the rest of you. All vegetables were canned - as in DelMonte canned. Most meat was cooked until grey, had something to do with my dad's ulcer. So it's no wonder I didn't eat much meat; besides, there was always potato bread to fill up on. I remember going to my first steakhouse on my first real date in the late 60s - I ordered a ham sandwich, explaining to my date that I don't like steak. In my house steak meant roundsteak, cooked forever in onion soup, tough as shoeleather. That's all I knew.
Then I met the love of my life. He'd been a chef. When he offered to make me a steak I said I don't like steak. He decided to change my mind. How about a salad to go with it? "I don't eat salad." (lettuce was my mother's bread - no one else ever touched it because we liked real bread) He made me the most delicious butt steak, medium rare, and a fantastic salad with his own recipe Roquefort dressing. I was in heaven! (heck, even without the food I was in heaven back then, but the steak! the salad!, ohhhh....those were the days!

neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 9:45 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Recipe source

Living in the land of Bar-be-que I eat pork occasionally, very little beef, no lamb or veal, and I'm likely to soon be growing feathers or fins. I really prefer vegetables. I grew up on them cooked with some kind of "boiling meat," but have since learned to love them just steamed. I no longer use anything on them except Newman's Lite salad dressings.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Theresa W." <tchessie1@sbcglobal.net>