From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Bonnie Holmes
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 6:54 PM
To: gardenchat
Subject: [CHAT] Early American Pumpkin Butter --- great for gifts

Early American Pumpkin Butter - makes 5 pints

This recipe makes a lot of butter, and for a good reason; it serves as the
perfect gift during the holiday season. The traditional spicing and hint of
maple sweetness will enhance old-fashioned holidays meals.

6 cups cooked pumpkin puree (light cooking pumpkins are best)
2 cups pure maple syrup (very important...don't skimp here)
2 cups light corn syrup
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Put the puree in a 4-quart pot; stir in the maple syrup and corn syrup.
When these are thoroughly combined, add the remaining ingredients. Set the
pot over medium-high heat. When it begins to boil, partially cover it; the
mixture will splash profusely. Cook the puree at a slow boil, stirring
frequently to prevent sticking, until it thickens and turns a darker
color---about 45 minutes.

Ladle the butter into five sterilized, still-hot pint jars. Wipe rims and
cap immediately with still-hot lids, plus rings. Process for 25 minutes in a
boiling water bath.

To Make Pumpkin Puree
Either bake the fruit or boil it. To bake pumpkins (my favorite way), poke
holes in the pumpkin to keep from exploding, put them in the oven whole, on
a cookie sheet, at 350 degrees F until softened and collapsed.
Scoop the pulp away from the peel. Puree the pulp in a blender or food
processor. Or, boil, peeled chunks of fresh pumpkin until softened. Then
puree the cooked pulp. Or use two 29-oz cans of commercial pureed pumpkin.

Bonnie Zone 7/7 ETN