Re: Gene's Articles

Hello Chris,
I would suppose most of us who have mates get an occasional raised eyebrow on all the time we spend on the computer, all this talk about names like we actually knew them. Every once in a while I will casually mention a name for a garden list like it was someone we both knew.... and get, OK so who is that???
When I write and illustrate an article I only try to do one the way I would want to read it when it is completed. I read magazines and web sites all the time same as you... know my own frustrations at time. However, I do not get final word on the text, photos or layout in the magazines. That is up to their editors. You have to turn loose of your baby when you sell it.....Fine Gardening is one of the best when it comes to layout and finish in my opinion and I am always proud of what my work looks like when it comes into print.
One never talks about the next article ... bad luck. Also the more a write talks about what he is "going" to write the less likely he is to actually complete the writing. However, I have more lined up for magazines over the next two years than I may be able to get completed over the next 5 months and sent to the editor on time.
I am very fond of skullcap family, trying to locate more of them for my garden and nursery. Among my favorites for simple beauty and ruggedness.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Petersen" <chris@widom-assoc.com>
I always enjoy finding an article from you in one of my magazines. It's neat
knowing a "celebrity"! Although I haven't read my Fine Gardening Magazine
yet, I pointed out your article to my husband who I think feels I'm a bit on
the wacky side with all my online friends! I just re-read an older article
on ground covers for shade that you wrote for the American Gardener. Your
photos are always nice. I appreciate the fact that most of what you write
about is represented by a photo. It saves me the time that it would take to
look up the plant online.

I wanted to tell you that the plants I ordered from you this spring are
doing great! I pointed out the scutellaria incana to everyone this summer.
It has such lovely sky blue flowers. It is fun to grow something brand new
(to me that is). Most everything you sent is planted in the same bed, so I
can easily keep an eye on how the plants are doing. Sometimes, I plant
things and forget that they are new and need extra TLC. Then before I know
it, the plant is being smothered by a more aggressive perennial or has
wilted because it needed extra water in its first year here.

What's the next article going to be on?

Chris Petersen