Interesting editorial in today's paper. The author cited research done by Reason magazine, National Geographic, CNW Marketing, Weekly Standard magazine. NG I've heard of but I know little about the other 3, so I wonder if you hybrid drivers might refute or agree with the various parts of it.

"...the market doesn't support them. They may be PC, but hybrids would get nowhere w/o govt and mfg subsidies. Car companies take losses on the cars. Hybrids cost about $6000 more to make than similar gas-powered cars and consumers won't shell that out - whatever their politics - and so buyers require the subsidies"... "..hybrids lack power..." "They don't get near the great gas mileage we're told they do"... "after a 2yr study on 'dust to dust' energy costs of the cars - meaning the energy to plan, build, sell, drive, and dispose of - the hybrids don't stack up well against gas-powered counterparts...don't last as long - around 100,000 miles vs 300,000 for traditional powered vehicles"

neIN, Zone 5