RE: hybrids

We need to hear from Eva on this too.

I have had my Prius since 2000.  We too bought it to walk the walk.  (We
were also among the first to try a rotary engine as well when they came out
as a cleaner burning engine.)  Even though the engine is smaller and the
electric motor is not terribly large, when you couple the two up for a burst
of speed or sustained speed, you don't get any lag.  You just GO as fast and
as quick as any other car on the road.  They do NOT lack power.  Anyone who
has ever given one a proper test can tell you they will get up and go if you
kick the gas pedal.  Just like every other gas powered vehicle, your mileage
will go down.  I get 40-50mpg right now in mixed driving.  Now that isn't as
good as what was initially advertised when we bought the car, but it is
still a good deal better than anyone else we know is getting for their $3.00
per gallon.  If I go highway all the way and fairly level road conditions, I
get better mileage.  If I do in-town driving, low speeds, I also get higher
mpg.  Although it pulls hills (as when we went through the mountains)
without any trouble, it costs mileage to do so (though not as much as a
conventionally powered car.)  It all depends on where the testing is done as
to whether you get the same mileage.  We've had a number of conventionally
powered cars that didn't get the mileage they were purported to get.  Part
of that is due to topography, part to climate and part to driving style.  It
is no different with a hybrid.

As for the market for them, nobody driving the luxury vehicles can really
complain about the pricing.  It is more difficult for lower income folks to
get into one for certain, but the market IS there or there wouldn't be so
many hybrids on back order.  My Prius is guaranteed 100,000 miles on the
power train and many competitive gas powered vehicles don't do that.  And I
know a lot of conventionally powered vehicles that haven't made it to
100,000 miles, period.  The story is still out on how long you can keep one
running.  We are just nearing 80,000.00 but we are not seeing any problems
other than the occasional burned out light bulb.

If there were any way DH and I could afford another hybrid today, we would
purchase it in a heart beat!  It is quiet.  It is CLEAN/GREEN with emissions
so low, the locals don't even test for them anymore on a Prius.  (Our first
time through, they took forever trying to get something to register on their
meters and they kept trying to re-start it when the gasoline engine shut
down and it was just running on the electric motor.) I imagine we'll be
looking for something to replace DH's car when I can find work again.

There are Prius and other hybrid web-sites.  You might want to go read some
of the comments from other consumers.  I think you would be pleasantly
surprised.   Besides, the hybrid industry is relatively new.  I look for
magnitudes of improvements to make them even more efficient in the future.
Just in the few years we've had our hybrid, great strides have been made in
mileage and other features.

I'd like to know what kinds of vehicles the authors of the research and the
author of the editorial drive.  For many people, it seems, a car is
something very personal and tied to their status/personalities.

Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)