Re: New family member

Also, horse manure is one of the ingredients in the custom-formulated potting mix used at the nursery where I used to work. It was great--groot?--potting mix, but how much of that grootness can be attributed to the horse pucky is open to debate. It does, all by itself, make a good planting medium for pineapples, however.

On Jul 31, 2006, at 1:04 PM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:

But of course!
Obviously I need to retire. Work is really cutting into my free time. :-)

Cyndi

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of james singer
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2006 9:36 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] New family member

Well, if nothing else, you should get enough premium material for some very
productive mushroom beds. You'll need to build a temperature-controlled
house for the beds, of course.

On Jul 31, 2006, at 12:15 PM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:

We are now the pleased and somewhat apprehensive owners of a horse, a
very handsome paint gelding we bought yesterday. My husband decided
some months ago he would like to learn to ride, started lessons, and
liked it enough that he wants to own.  My sister, who lives to ride,
is ecstatic. She has major plans for all the places we're going to go.
Horse camping, heaven help us...  Anyway I hadn't ever considered
owning horses before because if I wanted to ride, I'd call her - much
less work! But here we are.  We went all the way out to Palm Springs
to test drive him yesterday; my sister had been out there last week to
evaluate him as a beginner's horse. He has been getting away with
laziness for quite some time so that will take a bit of work but he is
very calm and relaxed, good when you're starting out.
And she
did a few quick things with him, he's very accepting of being trained
once he knows he can't slack off.
So we're getting horse accomodations built out back next to the sheep
pens, and then he'll come home; we'll get familiar with everything
involved, then in a few months we'll be looking for one for me.
Obviously this means I will not have the kind of time I used to put
into the vegetable garden. Or the cottage garden for that matter, but
mostly the veggies. Well, everything changes...and maybe I was getting
into a rut. Last summer I was sure griping about the time it took,
wasn't I, seems a little funny to be sitting here now mourning that! I
can't say I'm a logical person.  I should probably give some thought
to slowly transitioning my ornamental garden to less effort-intensive
plants, more like the Japanese garden. Oh boy...now I can buy new
plants!! I am not going to give up gardening by any means but I will
have to change things.
Pictures later, he is living at my sister's house now so it may be a
week or so before we have time to take any.  Well...deep breath...into
the new!

Cyndi

Island Jim
Southwest Florida