From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2006 12:15 PM
To: 'gardenchat@hort.net'
Subject: [CHAT] New family member

We are now the pleased and somewhat apprehensive owners of a horse, a very
handsome paint gelding we bought yesterday. My husband decided some months
ago he would like to learn to ride, started lessons, and liked it enough
that he wants to own.  My sister, who lives to ride, is ecstatic. She has
major plans for all the places we're going to go. Horse camping, heaven help
us...  Anyway I hadn't ever considered owning horses before because if I
wanted to ride, I'd call her - much less work! But here we are.  We went all
the way out to Palm Springs to test drive him yesterday; my sister had been
out there last week to evaluate him as a beginner's horse. He has been
getting away with laziness for quite some time so that will take a bit of
work but he is very calm and relaxed, good when you're starting out. And she
did a few quick things with him, he's very accepting of being trained once
he knows he can't slack off.
So we're getting horse accomodations built out back next to the sheep pens,
and then he'll come home; we'll get familiar with everything involved, then
in a few months we'll be looking for one for me.
Obviously this means I will not have the kind of time I used to put into the
vegetable garden. Or the cottage garden for that matter, but mostly the
veggies. Well, everything changes...and maybe I was getting into a rut. Last
summer I was sure griping about the time it took, wasn't I, seems a little
funny to be sitting here now mourning that! I can't say I'm a logical
person.  I should probably give some thought to slowly transitioning my
ornamental garden to less effort-intensive plants, more like the Japanese
garden. Oh boy...now I can buy new plants!! I am not going to give up
gardening by any means but I will have to change things.
Pictures later, he is living at my sister's house now so it may be a week or
so before we have time to take any.  Well...deep breath...into the new!

Cyndi