hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Gallery of Plants
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Mailing Lists
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
New Trillium species discovered

Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

RSS story archive

A long day but a short week

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: A long day but a short week
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 10:19:48 -0700
  • Content-class: urn:content-classes:message
  • Thread-index: AcfCTVpQU+Y3YfzHQv6bFHnUzVN9nA==
  • Thread-topic: A long day but a short week

We decided to cap off last week's vacation with a ride up in the local
mountains. So we left the house at 8:00, got there about an hour later,
and we had a nice time. My sister, one of her friends, and the two of us
rode on the Pacific Crest Trail for not quite two hours, stopped at a
picnic area and ate lunch, and back to the trailers on a different
route. Our "boys" (the two horses) behaved perfectly, the weather was
wonderful up there at 7000 ft, and the scenery was great.
Coming back though, a jack fell off a truck in front of us, the trailer
tires went over it and shredded two of them. There we were on the side
of the road with two flat tires, one spare, and two horses in 95 degree
heat. Too bad we couldn't just saddle up and leave! Thank god for cell
phones and my sister, who was just getting to her house when we called.
She came back with her trailer, took us and the boys home, we got
another tire off our other trailer and drove back. The other tire turned
out to have the wrong bolt pattern, but with the horses out the trailer
sits a lot higher. So husband put on the one spare, and we drove home
slowly with only one tire on the left side. We made it back about 8:30
at night. Could have been a lot worse: the trailer did not do anything
dramatic even with shredded tires on one side, we didn't get a ticket
for leaving the rig there for two hours unattended, my sister was
available to help us, the horses didn't care about being unloaded on the
side of a highway and stuffed into a new trailer.
They do say bad things happen in threes, maybe we are done now, because
my refrigerator icemaker quit working on Saturday and about five minutes
after I noticed that, I opened the dishwasher door and heard this loud
CRACK, I guess a spring broke because now the door will just come
crashing down on your leg if you're not careful. They are both
Kitchenaid appliances - the high-end ones too - less than two years old,
should any of you be thinking about buying appliances.
So other than that it was a good week off, funny how fast it goes when
you're at home. I never got into the front yard at all, but despite the
heat I did a lot of work in the vegetable garden. It is a thing of
beauty now, I haven't had it looking so good in years. Husband worked
quite a bit in the teahouse garden and it is nice and neat, but it still
needs repair. We had a sprinkler fail in there but the way everything is
situated we could not see what was happening and by the time we took a
good look at it, we had lost three of the dwarf pittosporum and a lot of
the thyme groundcover. I think everything else will come back. This is
what I get for being so busy I guess. I had a schedule worked out to
spend at least one night a week on maintenance, but we keep adding
things to do.
The stray cat and her kittens seem comfy, still locked in the back
bathroom. The kittens are just starting to open their eyes. My cats have
seen the mama a couple times but I am trying to keep them separate, I
have no idea what health issues if any she has and I'm not sure when we
should get everybody to the vet. I think husband is leaning towards
adopting the mama cat and we'll somehow find homes for the babies. I
hear this is not difficult so if I have problems, I am dropping them on
the doorsteps of the people who told me how easy it is. :-)


To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the

Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index

 © 1995-2017 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement