From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Theresa W
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 8:34 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] OT: FW: more texas wildlife

I just had to share this- and it is all true!!

Theresa

Subject: more texas wildlife

Another night in the Austin suburbs...  While I was on the phone with my
former Pennsylvania neighbor (where wildlife was fairly common),
something the size of a dog walked across my front steps and into the
bushes.  Upon inspection with my current neighbor, we discovered it was
a porcupine.  Yes, a porcupine... in my bushes just outside my front
door.

After half a dozen calls to animal control folks not interested in
helping, an animal rescue staffer offered to pick him up if I could put
him in a box.
A box?   I called another neighbor for assistance and we literally chase
this porcupine from house to house until Karl is able to coax him into
the dog crate.

When the animal rescue girl shows up, she does not have a crate for this
wild animal home she is planning to take to her home.  She asks us if it
is lactating.  What?  Mind you, it is now almost 9:30 and pitch dark.
How are we supposed to tell if it is lactating exactly?  So we get a
huge computer box, coax this wild thing into the box and wildlife girl
regales us with wildlife rescue stories.  After I tell her about the
mountain lion behind our fence in August and the possum we chased off of
our deck, she tells us how great possums are as pets.  My neighbor's
child is fascinated and then this woman literally pulls a baby possum
out of her bra.  She told us it is a warm, safe spot for the baby
possum.  Seriously?  As we are getting ready to put the box into the
back of her pickup, she looks horrified and told us that it has to ride
up front with her.  After she urges us to call and check on the
porcupine tomorrow (sure thing), the big
gateway-box-carrying-a-porcupine and the crazy wildlife rescue girl ride
away happily ever after.

PS- I should add that Duane will be meeting the porcupine on this email
as well, as he is in California this week.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which
had a name of winmail.dat] I just had to share this- and it is all
[...]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream
which had a name of porcupine 0031.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream
which had a name of porcupine 0021.jpg]