From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 9:42 AM
To: Garden Chat
Subject: [CHAT] Peppers

We are growing five pepper plants this year, and they seem to be about
the right number and combination for our needs. They are all growing in
pots--7 to 30 gallons in size--in at least half-day shade.

Kirmizi aci biber, which will give us 4 or 5 years worth of real heat
this year. We've been drying most of the fruits, then grinding some for
powder. This plant is 2 years old and we will bid it farewell this fall.
We will not grow it next year simply because we won't need any more of
this kind of heat for awhile. Pretty plant, however; quite ornamental
with 30-40 red and green peppers most of the time.

Poblano, which we are using as our mainstay green pepper for stuffing,
stir fry, and exotic stuff, like pepper pesto. This is our first
experience with it. It's a surprisingly large plant [almost 5 feet] and
super productive. Steamed, peeled, stuffed with a quinoa filling, and
baked in a tomato sauce... delicious.

Jalapeno, which we use for all the things jalapenos are used
for--salads, nachos, guacamole, pickles, on and on. This particular
plant, an "Early Jalapeno," is something of a disappointment, and will
be replaced this fall. It has produced lots of fruits, but practically
none that have reached 2 inches in length [a minimum size for stuffing].
As a consequence, we have lots of pickled jalapenos for nachos and lots
of shredded [frozen] jalapenos for guacamole.

Corno di toro, which is our main sweet pepper, both green and red. This
is our first year for this one, and we are quite pleased with it. Big,
sweet, non-bell peppers that are muy flavorful either green or red. It
is also our last addition and likely suffers from a small pot [7
gallon]. So far it seems to be productive. Next year will be the real

Bishop's Crown, which turns out to be a hot pepper  but very mild and
surprisingly sweet, and a nice addition to salads and stir fries. This
is our first year with it also.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W