I'm considering...

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: I'm considering...
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 10:30:16 -0700

I'm considering doing away with my cottage garden. The thought has been
flitting through my head for a few months now, I have been resolutely
pushing it away so far. I'm not good with big changes and I have been
very happy watching things bloom, but I don't know, perhaps the time has
come. Much of it looks terrible and I have to admit that I can no longer
keep up with the amount of maintenance it takes, not with us spending so
much time on the horses now. Plus it sucks up a lot of water and we are
getting many dire warnings about rationing - although I notice they keep
issuing permits for new housing tracts. Grrrrr.
Anyway  there's a lot of pros and cons. I cannot get rid of the
sycamores, those are three HUGE trees, and they will need water so it's
not like the area can be a xeriscape. I was thinking about what I would
miss the most and it's the daffodils, there are hundreds, I can't
envisage throwing them out. The roses too but not as much, and
everything else I could mourn for and move on.
I will probably dither about this for months to come if not years. I
can't come up with what I could do given that the big trees have to
stay, and I surely do not want to go back to lawn. Maybe I should see if
I can find a native landscape designer and get some ideas. Sigh.

Cyndi