Re: Tomatoes

As most of you know I'm so not a vegy person, but DH faithfully plants his
tiny patch every year.  In the past couple years the subject of the "wild"
tomato (aka Texas Wild, Mexican Wild, etc.)  has come up quite often here  on
this list.  I think Jim grows it and sent out seeds at one point.   Out of all
the tomatoes this is my favorite.  I had reported that it had  thrived and
continued to produce through the hottest summer and drought one  year....all the
way till Christmas day when we had 6 inches of snow.  That  didn't even kill the
shrub, a month or so later it had put on blossoms  again.

Well, an update....we have had unusually cold nights this past winter, even
getting down to 23 one night for a short period.  We have also had  unsually
heavy rains this year.  No flooding to speak of, but record  amounts.  Although
the vegy garden is in a raised bed which is  usually well drained, it
definitely hasn't been able to dry out much.   All the other tomato varieties that DH
planted are either totally dead, or just  barely hanging on.  The Wild tomato
is once again thriving and producing  like crazy.

I truly am a huge fan of this plant, now more than ever, it has made it  throu
gh every weather condition that we have to offer, and the worst
neglect.....but it continues to thrive.  Was wondering how the seeds did  for those of you
that tried them???  Was wondering if it does as well in  other climate zones??

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 7/14/2007 11:02:17 PM Central Daylight Time,