Re: Re: Tomatoes

If you run out, Noreen, I can pick up the slack. We've got a god crop this year--not as good as years past for some reason, but good enough. It's truly an amazing plant--and the flavor is the absolute best tomato ever.

On Jul 16, 2007, at 11:35 AM, Jesse Bell wrote:

Noreen, I would LOVE to try some of those seeds. We are not having much luck with ours either.

  Jesse

Bonnie Holmes <holmesbm@usit.net> wrote:
If you send me some seeds, I'll definitely try them here where we normally
have very humid weather.
Bonnie Holmes
1025 Stagecoach
Friendsville, TN 37737

[Original Message]
Date: 7/16/2007 7:10:50 AM
Subject: [CHAT] Re: Tomatoes

As most of you know I'm so not a vegy person, but DH faithfully plants
his
tiny patch every year. In the past couple years the subject of the
"wild"
tomato (aka Texas Wild, Mexican Wild, etc.) has come up quite often here
on
this list. I think Jim grows it and sent out seeds at one point. Out
of all
the tomatoes this is my favorite. I had reported that it had thrived
and
continued to produce through the hottest summer and drought one
year....all the
way till Christmas day when we had 6 inches of snow. That didn't even
kill the
shrub, a month or so later it had put on blossoms again.

Well, an update....we have had unusually cold nights this past winter,
even
getting down to 23 one night for a short period. We have also had
unsually
heavy rains this year. No flooding to speak of, but record amounts.
Although
the vegy garden is in a raised bed which is usually well drained, it
definitely hasn't been able to dry out much. All the other tomato
varieties that DH
planted are either totally dead, or just barely hanging on. The Wild
tomato
is once again thriving and producing like crazy.

I truly am a huge fan of this plant, now more than ever, it has made it
throu
gh every weather condition that we have to offer, and the worst
neglect.....but it continues to thrive. Was wondering how the seeds did
for those of you
that tried them??? Was wondering if it does as well in other climate
zones??

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 7/14/2007 11:02:17 PM Central Daylight Time,