Re: More harvesting

I envy your vegetable patch--not to mention your energy.

On Jul 17, 2007, at 12:10 PM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:

I am coming to the end of the green bean season, seems pretty short to
me but the plants are not producing many new flowers. Last Saturday I
started harvesting at 7:30 am and finished my third canner load at 4:30
pm.  I did 30 jars of green beans and still had a bag left over, but to
run another canner load was at least an hour and I was out of enthusiasm
for the day. So we're eating a lot of fresh green beans at dinner now,
not a bad thing. I should have harvested tomatoes on Sunday, I think I
could have done a bunch of jars of just cut-up tomatoes, but after
looking at them I decided they could go a while longer and instead did
some other chores.
The soybeans are ready too, in fact it looks like I might have waited a
bit long on some of them. I picked a basket full on Sunday and we had
edamame last night, where you just boil the whole pod and then squeeze
them out of the shell to eat, it was pretty good. I have never tried
preserving them before so I need to look in my books and see if they
have anything, but I think what I'm going to do is boil them in the pods and then freeze them like that. I'll do some tonight and we can see what
the texture is like in a couple days. They succeeded remarkably well
considering the rabbit damage, I think I might get 20 pounds or more
from that patch. I might try roasting some too.
I haven't done anything about my thoughts on the front yard but my
husband and I were talking about the teahouse garden, and we both
decided the sloping bank of prostrate rosemary is not what we wanted.
Not prostrate enough, and it just looks messy. So he's pulling that out
and now I'm considering maybe clumps of blue fescue. Last year we saw
some nice mugo pines at the nursery, I think those can be kept small,
and I'll look for some other foliage plants that look like they might
belong in a Japanese garden but will handle the intense sun and heat on
the little slope. If we could get some largish rocks it will help too. I
know where to get the rocks but lifting them will be a trick.
On my desk is 5 pounds of zucchini I picked yesterday, I need to go give that away. I haven't exhausted all my contacts in this building yet so I
think I'll find some takers.

Cyndi

Island Jim
Southwest Florida