Re: More harvesting

You guys are making me hungry. But I'd have to add some chopped scallions to that portobella saute.

On Jul 17, 2007, at 2:13 PM, Jesse Bell wrote:

with a dash of balsamic vinegar on there...mmm, mmm, mmm.

Aplfgcnys@aol.com wrote:   Wow, what a lot of beans you must plant!
I don't have a big operation like yours, but in my small patch I
keep beans going all summer. In fact, I have already pulled out
and replanted a couple of rows. I just plant double rows about
five or six feet long - depending on how the space works out
with other things. Then when they slow down and are only
giving me a few beans a day, out they come and a new row
goes in. In the spring, I start by planting a new batch every
ten days or so until the first ones start bearing. I have had
beans to eat and/or give away for about three weeks now. We
ate the last of the early ones today, and by tomorrow the next
set will be ready to pick. Incidentally, I have developed a new
bean dish that we are enjoying. You know, after a week or so
of beans, you are looking for something new to do with them.
I place the beans in boiling water for a few minutes - just until
they turn bright green and some of them make a popping sound.
Then I drain the beans and while they are draining, I melt a bit
of butter in the pan and add a diced portobella mushroom. Over
low heat, I let the mushroom begin to give up its juices, then
return the beans to the pan for a few minutes, season with salt
and pepper. This is very simple and quick, and we find it a
nice change from plain beans. I'm sure other mushrooms would
do as well, but portobellas are the quickest and easiest to peel
and prepare.
Auralie

In a message dated 07/17/2007 11:11:30 AM Eastern Standard Time,