Re: greenhouse

I wouldn't use it at all in the summer. This is strictly to keep stuff going during Dec-Feb, that's why I don't want a really expensive one. It would need a heater only for the coldest nights and vents for when it starts to warm in the spring. Preferably automatic ones although I used to prop the door open in the morning before I left for work and everything was always fine. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 12:24 PM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] greenhouse

Good advice from Gene, if you know what you want to do with it you'll
know what to look for. For instance in mine I knew that I was not going
to use it during summer so I did not bother with cooling systems only a
fan at one end. That has worked pretty well although I probably should
have gotten a bigger fan, it does get too hot in spring just before I
want to put the plants outside. I put in water barrels to store heat
instead of having a heater, it did get very cold in there during The Big
Freeze last winter but it did not get below freezing and it was about 5
degrees outside. If that were a normal thing I would definitely have a
heater installed.
Mine is redwood with corrugated polycarbonate sides, I think it's about
8 x 12. We bought a kit; definitely needed two people to assemble it but
it was nothing terribly complicated.  The automatic fan, the electric
outlet, and the water faucet were absolutely necessary.

Cyndi