Re: OT - If I can get through this

Wow- this is a huge undertaking. I say ignor all the snide remarks, sniping, etc. Just enjoy Chet's company and really don't worry too much about the food- they will have just been fed at the lunch after all!

Theresa

Aplfgcnys@aol.com wrote:
For years when I have tackled a new or difficult project I have said
If I can get through this, I can do anything.  One day my youngest,
then a teenager said "Ma, if you don't stop saying that, you will
believe it."  Now I'm facing that again.
Chet's birthday was in March, but that was not a good time to have
a party. Ten years ago we had said if the Queen of England can celebrate her birthday whenever she wants to, so can he, so we had a big birthday party in June. This year, since it was his 80th, the sons all decided they wanted to come, too. July was the right month to pick for a general family celebration, since sons #1 and 3 were both
born in July, as was our youngest granddaughter and a step-grandd.
Our wedding anniversary was also in July - the same date as #1 son's
birthday, but not the same year. My birthday is in early August, so I
almost make it.  Anyway, all three sons are coming, with families -
probably six grandchildren including three steps.  Chet has invited
half of Westchester County, it seems.  He has taken the pavilion at
Teatown Nature Center for the day, and arranged for games for the
children and tours of Wildflower Island.  Our Thai restaurateur friend
will cater the lunch there.  Then everybody is invited back here for a
"light" supper.  Chet says just fix something easy.  Yea - easy for
35-40 people.  We don't really have room for that many - I have had
as many as that for a stand-up cocktail party but it was a tight fit.
I will make chicken salad and gazpacho, two of my specialties, and
have a crock-pot of a pasta dish, also a specialty.  I have begun to
make and freeze a squash bread that, heated up, will be a good
cocktail snack, and I'll add tiny green beans with a yogurt dip that
goes down well. All of this is complicated by the sons, who don't allways get along.
They have already begun to make snide remarks.  Also, the DILs.
The youngest son and family are flying in from Colorado on Thursday,
and spending the night in the city so she can get her hair done by
a special stylist her friends have told her about.  This has already
put the other DILs' backs up. There's a lot more I won't bore you with, but maybe you get the
idea.  Pray for me, I'll need it.
Auralie

************************************** Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour