To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2007 10:40 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] calla lilies

Hi Tricia and Zem, I live in Northern Z-5, almost Z-4 so I'm guessing that calla lilies are not hardy here. If I was to grow some, do you dig the bulbs in the fall and replant in the spring, kinda like I do with cannas, or do they need to be potted all winter or what??? I grew a couple of callas a few years ago, but left them in the ground over the winter and they went away. So if you could tell me hwo to keep them alive, and wanted to get rid of some bulbs, I'd be an eager taker. Rich in Z-5

Patricia wrote:

I dug some today but I don't feel like I got all of the bulb. I put some in a pot with potting soil but they really looked stressed. Sheri do you want me to try to send some now or wait until they go dormant and dig the bulb to send then? I am thinking it might be more successful when they go dormant.
Tricia