Busy busy busy...

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Busy busy busy...
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 11:44:48 -0700

I took yesterday off work because my kitchen is covered in vegetables
and I didn't really get enough done over the weekend. Saturday morning I
had a riding lesson and then we gave my horse a bath. Afterwards I
harvested all the soybeans. I was worried that I'd left it too long, but
there weren't that many that were dried up. I yanked each plant out of
the ground as I went, I am not sure if they fruit again after harvest
but I think not, besides how many soybeans do you really need. I forgot
to weigh them (I always forget) but I suspect it was a bit over 10
pounds. I washed and blanched them all, froze about 5 gallon-size bags
of the whole pods. By then it was about 6 pm and there was a huge bag
left, but I was tired of the whole thing, and my copy of the last Harry
Potter book was on the counter, so I sat under the sycamore with my
book.  Sunday I went hiking in the morning and then to a birthday party
for my nephew's wife so nothing in the garden got done, good thing there
was nothing on my work calendar so I could take Monday off.  I did
finish the Harry Potter book that night, the last one, sigh.
I woke up yesterday to overcast and...drum roll please...rain. Okay,
sprinkles. But still, it was water falling from the sky even if not much
more than enough to make patterns in the dust. I picked maybe 20 pounds
of tomatoes.  I think I might have gotten about half of what's ready. I
made 10 pints of salsa, 15 pints of plain ol' canned tomatoes, and the
dehydrator has all six trays full. I also shelled the rest of the
soybeans and froze 3 quart size ziplocks of the beans, I'm going to try
and make those crunchy soynut snacks out of them later.
There are still a lot of nice looking green beans out there, but I don't
have a free evening left this week and I bet they won't be much good in
a few days. I suppose if I get up an hour earlier I can pick for a while
as the sun comes up (yeah, that'll happen :-). At least I'm managing to
keep the zucchini picked at edible size.
All in all, life is good.