Re: Feest

Tommy Atkins has that turpentine taste unless it's thoroughly ripe--then it disappears. I don't know what the "honey" mango is. Mangos have such goofy names--usually people names [Carrie, Julie, Keith] or southeast Asian names--but there are a few named things like Ice Cream. Could be there's a variety named Honey. They also come in a variety of sizes. Carrie produces fruits that are about the size of an avocado. The two I picked yesterday weigh about a half pound each. The two Alampur Baneshans I picked yesterday weigh nearly 2 pounds each.

On Jul 26, 2007, at 10:06 AM, Zemuly Sanders wrote:

We had a "turpentine" mango tree in our yard in Key West. They were delicious after you developed a taste for them.
zem
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 9:59 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Feest

Which type of mango is what they call "honey mango" in the grocery store? I just love them!! I wish I lived at your house for mango and avocado season- they both are great!

Theresa

james singer wrote:
We are beginning to feast on mangos and avocados. Our early season mango [Tommy Atkins] was a bust this year, but the two mid season ones [Alampur Baneshan and Carrie] have been productive. And the avocado is in the midst of it's largest crop ever.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10