From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:17 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT - If I can get through this - update

Monday night as I was reading my email before going to bed there was a
terrible boom followed by blackness.  I couldn't think what had
happened, but Chet knew at once - a tree fell on us.  An enormous old
oak growing over a boulder beside the house had just toppled over,
falling straight across the front of the house and filling the entire
drive.  The main trunk of the tree was about a foot from the front door.
Incredibly, it missed the corner of the house and none of the glassed in
entry was broken.
There are three or four holes punched in the roof, but no structural
damage.  You wouldn't believe the run-around we have had from ConEdison
- or maybe you would.  This morning I told them that if I didn't have
power by 9:30 I was calling the local television station.  They came at
9:20.  The other services have been great - the electrician, the tree
people who cut up and removed the stuff, the roofers who have put on
temporary patches, but ConEdison has given us real bureaucratic red-tape
delaying tactics.  Anyway, now I have power again.  We have called off
the home part of the party - the Teatown section is still on.  So I will
have only the 16 family members here on Saturday night.  The crowd might
have been easier to live with - the family members might have felt they
had to behave in front of company. Anyway, I am so glad to have power
again and work crews out of here that I guess I can handle the rest.
  The only other lack of cooperation has been from the insurance people.
They tell us they have assigned a case number, but the adjustor, who was
supposed to come on Tuesday, has not shown up yet. They said they tried
to call us and got no answer and couldn't leave a message.  Duh!  The
phone lines did work, but the answering machine didn't because we had no
power.
ConEdison wanted us to fax them information and didn't seem to
understand that we couldn't fax them because we had no power.  Oh well.
  Of course all the plantings across the front of the entire house are
destroyed.  I had just begun to feel good about them after the spring
and early summer problems.  In addition, a rhododendron, three very
large, old mountain laurels, a  nice pink spirea and a very nice Mugho
pine that we had put in just a couple of years ago are all smashed.  The
redbud tree across the drive that had looked better this spring than
ever before, is pretty badly broken, but some of it can be saved.
  I'm so thankful that it fell where it did instead of two feet to the
left, that I shouldn't complain.
Auralie

In a message dated 07/24/2007 12:02:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,