Re: OT - If I can get through this - update

Well, once more I got through it.  Things have held together pretty well.
My #1 son showed up Friday, a day earlier than expected, but #2 son didn't
come that day as he had said he would.  I was expecting him to bring his son
and stepson - both about 20, and his two teen-aged stepdaughters, so had
cooked a huge hamburger and pasta casserole.  There's still a lot of it left,
though folks have snacked on it all weekend.  #3 son and family showed up
Friday night, so I moved the chicken-salad and gazpacho I had planned for
the next night up to Friday night.
Saturday, the party at Teatown went very well though it got off to a slow
because #1 son's wife, daughter and boy-friend who flown in from Seattle,
didn't get in until 3:30 AM, and #2 son somehow got lost with all his crew
and ended up going halfway down to the city - you'd think he had never been
here before, instead of growing up here.  Anyway, Reka, my Thai friend and
Claire, a "floral stylist" friend made a terrific presentation.  The Teatown
had been most helpful and had sent a large bunch of flowers, but Claire had
really gone overboard, as did Reka.  There were about 40 people, a good
number of whom took the various tours Chet had arranged for. There had
been rain in the morning, but the skies cleared and there was a good breeze
to relieve the humidity and 80 degree temperature.
Then, since we had cancelled the party at the house, we had only family
for dinner and the evening.  Claire stopped by, but didn't stay long.  Somehow
the house seemed about as full as it could be with the 16 family members.
Thank goodness, they all stayed pretty civil.  The brothers had not been
together since #3 son's wedding 11 years ago, and #2 son has a different
wife and family since then, so there was some reacquainting to be done.
The two youngest grandchildren - Connor at 5 and Cate at 2, kept people
amused.  My older granddaughter and one of #2 son's stepdaughters are
both ardent horsewomen, as are their mothers, and they had not met before,
so that kept one sector pretty well occupied.  I stayed in the kitchen most
of the time, so don't really know what went on except that noone came to
blows though there were some loud voices a few times.  I put food on as
quickly as I could, because that always seems to improve their tempers.
The amount of food they consumed was impressive.  I still had a large
bowl of chicken-avocado salad; another of potato salad; and I had astonished
my favorite butcher, from whom I never buy beef, by asking for a 5-lb. rib-eye
roast.  I really expected to have leftovers for hash.  There wasn't enough
to make a roast-beef sandwich.  I had to hustle around and refill the large
salad bowl, and then they demolished an ice-cream cake from Carvel.
I must say I heaved a huge sigh of relief when they all finally left.  I was
glad to see each of them, but the whole thing has been a bit much, especially
with the other events of the week.
We are supposed to go down to Cape May tomorrow for a couple of days.
#2 son and family have taken a condo there for the week.  I'd rather just stay
home and try to get things back on track here, but Chet is keen to go. I love
the beach, but do sunburn badly.  I find 2-year-old Cate is a charmer, but
5-year-old Connor is a terror. It's not trendy to discipline children these
it seems.I don't really feel that several days in a condo with them will be
Thanks for listening to all my ramblings.
In a message dated 07/30/2007 10:04:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,