Re: divorce & families

Well... sure. Hormones don't think. When FX and I were married, the preacher said we had to have counseling first. I told him I only had a three day pass and I'd be back to learn all about Jesus later. So we skipped that part and I never went back. Of course, the marriage failed--21 years later.

On Jul 30, 2007, at 5:37 PM, Pam Evans wrote:

TX just passed a law to double the fee for a marriage license (to 60 bucks) which will be waived if the couple does the premarital counseling thing. Not a terrible idea that. I think a lot of people (here at least) seem to
rush into these things w/out thinking the whole thing through.

On 7/30/07, Bonnie Holmes <holmesbm@usit.net> wrote:

I think it was also due to some studies on poverty...the greatest number
of
impoverished are single women raising children. Arkansas had good results with reducing poverty by "saving marriages" and I think TN is trying to do
the same.  Families have a hard time making it without two salaries.
According to the study, economics turned out to be one of the biggest
problems for many couples and with counseling many marriages were "saved".

[Original Message]
From: Pam Evans <gardenqueen@gmail.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Date: 7/26/2007 4:47:58 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Checking on Pam

In Texas, when we're done w/ something, by Heaven we are DONE.

In Tennessee couples have to go to "divorce counseling" before it's
final.
I believe this was forced by the churches.  I think it is probably a
good
idea for children of divorcing parents to have some counseling, but I
don't
think it is the place of the state to do it.  Just my 2 cents.
zem