Mid-summer garden

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Mid-summer garden
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 15:08:29 -0700

I forgot to mention last week I started picking the first tomatoes. I labeled
all the plants, but the supposedly weatherproof writing has worn off so I'm
not even sure what I planted this year, although I think I wrote down the
varieties somewhere. At least the Yellow Pear is easy to recognize. Guess it
doesn't really matter.
Anyway so we have a few tomatoes, the green beans are tailing off, the
zucchini of course is exploding, and it looks like the cucumbers are fruiting
at last. I have a lot more basil than I expected, so I should pick and freeze
it soon...I should do that, but I don't know if I'll get around to it or not.
We spent the weekend at home so I got a lot of chores done. Even made a start
at clearing the weeds out of the front garden; I took 4 wheelbarrows full of
grass out. It's barely a dent but you have to start somewhere.  There's not
much blooming out there now - just a few daylilies, some coreopsis,
gaillardia, Shasta daisies and a few roses. I saw one lonely liatris stalk
too. I used to have two beautiful clumps of them but gophers ate them over the
winter.
We reset all the automatic sprinklers to come on less often, trying to save
water, and I suspect that (and the weeds) are why there's no flowers. I also
cut back on the veggie garden as I've mentioned, so we are using about half
the water we did last summer. It hasn't been quite as hot this year but you
can tell the front is dry. Well...I know it's necessary...and I had too much
garden to take care of anyway...but I'm still doing a little bit of mourning
for all the flowers.
Husband and I both agree that this winter we'll cough up whatever is necessary
to have the good tree people trim our front sycamores. I am so unhappy with
what happened to the back trees. They'll recover eventually but sheesh. The
front ones are so big now that they overhang all the walkways, which I
wouldn't mind except every bird in the neighborhood is living there. That
would be fine too if they didn't poop so much. It's almost as bad as the
chicken coop.
Lots of folks around us, especially to the east, got big thunderstorms and
rain (almost < inch!) over the weekend. We got nothing.  I see big clouds out
there right now so I'm hoping, hoping, please let it rain on me!

Cyndi