Re: Mid-summer garden

We're a ways behind you up here. Can't reliably plant green beans here until the first of June, so we're now in the vining/bushing stages. Most of the vegetables are just showing an interest in growing, although we've harvested one crop of bok choy and about half of the potatoes.

Mostly we spent the weekend installing/adjusting the micro-irrigation system, mulching some of the foundation beds, and top dressing a rainbow pea-gravel walkway. The irrigation installation is taking a bit longer than I anticipated, mostly because I'm not too happy with HD or Lowe's selection of parts and fittings and so have been ordering them from Peaceful Valley, which takes a couple of days for delivery. But it's coming along. I'd guess we're 1/3 ot 1/2 finished at this point.

A week or so ago, we filled a plastic tub with water then threw a bunch of ajuga cuttings in it. They have mostly rooted, so we planted a bunch of them as an edging or border on some of the main beds. Our strategy is to use plants, mulch, and gravel to minimize mud mobility during the rainy season--otherwise much of it ends up in the house. One alternative, of course, is to teach the dog to wipe her feet.

We did get to the county fair on Sunday. Something of a disappointment for gardeners. It is mostly a showcase for 4-H/FFA kids' livestock. That's okay; I enjoyed it, especially the sheep judging and exhibits. But I miss the domestic stuff--the quilting, canning, flower arranging. One of the exhibits that I thought was a bit sad was a judging of natural-colored fleeces. Beautiful whole fleeces in colors from dark grey to reddish-brown. But not a single exhibit [let alone judging] of carding those fleeces, spinning the wool, or knitting the yarn. Made me kind of sad.