From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2008 4:40 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Mid-summer garden

We're a ways behind you up here. Can't reliably plant green beans here
until the first of June, so we're now in the vining/bushing stages.
Most of the vegetables are just showing an interest in growing,
although we've harvested one crop of bok choy and about half of the

Mostly we spent the weekend installing/adjusting the micro-irrigation
system, mulching some of the foundation beds, and top dressing a
rainbow pea-gravel walkway. The irrigation installation is taking a
bit longer than I anticipated, mostly because I'm not too happy with
HD or Lowe's selection of parts and fittings and so have been ordering
them from Peaceful Valley, which takes a couple of days for delivery.
But it's coming along. I'd guess we're 1/3 ot 1/2 finished at this

A week or so ago, we filled a plastic tub with water then threw a
bunch of ajuga cuttings in it. They have mostly rooted, so we planted
a bunch of them as an edging or border on some of the main beds. Our
strategy is to use plants, mulch, and gravel to minimize mud mobility
during the rainy season--otherwise much of it ends up in the house.
One alternative, of course, is to teach the dog to wipe her feet.

We did get to the county fair on Sunday. Something of a disappointment
for gardeners. It is mostly a showcase for 4-H/FFA kids' livestock.
That's okay; I enjoyed it, especially the sheep judging and exhibits.
But I miss the domestic stuff--the quilting, canning, flower
arranging. One of the exhibits that I thought was a bit sad was a
judging of natural-colored fleeces. Beautiful whole fleeces in colors
from dark grey to reddish-brown. But not a single exhibit [let alone
judging] of carding those fleeces, spinning the wool, or knitting the
yarn. Made me kind of sad.

Island Jim
Willamette Valley
44.99 N 123.04 W