Re: green beans

I plant short rows of beans every two weeks all summer, right up until the
middle of August.  That way I have a steady supply until frost but no great
excess at any one time.
That is, that has been my practice for years.  This morning I went down to
put in another row and found that some creature has managed to get
under the garden fence and eat the tops off a couple of rows that were
just full of buds.  What was interesting was that he had also stripped the
leaves off all my borage plants - knocked down a couple of the large ones
in the process, but just stripped the smaller ones.  Didn't eat the flowers,
which are what I consider the edible part.  It was good that he waited -
Monday I gave a program on herbs and was able to display some very
nice-looking borage, along with a bunch of others of course.
I think the culprit is a woodchuck - can't think what else.  Deer can't
get into this small fenced area, and raccoons don't do this sort of
damage.  I found the place where I think he got under the fence, and
have blocked it up.  Several years ago we had this problem and buried
chickenwire below the bottom of the regular fence.  It has worked so far,
but the chickenwire seems to have rotted out in one place.  I lost my
early peas to something, but thought I had fixed that hole - this is another
place.  Frustrating and discouraging.  I planted more beans anyway - hope
we get to eat these.  I wouldn't mind sharing so much if they would just
leave some for me.
In a message dated 7/15/2008 9:15:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,