Re: Berries

We have lots of raspberries here--and they can become quite invasive, but they're not exactly wild. Blackberries, however, in another story. Wild everywhere like a delicious curse.

My sister made a boysenberry cobbler and 6 pints of boysenberry jam, then we ran the rest of the berries through my Mehu-Liisa steam juicer and extracted about a quart of boysenberry juice that, once it cools, we will use to make some syrup now and freeze to make some syrup later.

On Jul 17, 2008, at 3:04 PM, Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CG/ SCSRT wrote:

Mmmmm boysenberries. Are you in an area where they have the wild
raspberries everywhere? My dad lived in Northern California for a while,
we went picking once. Bled a lot. It was worth it though.

Cyndi

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 12:57 PM
To: Garden Chat
Subject: [CHAT] Berries

Went berry picking this AM. Specifically, raspberry and boysenberry
picking at a local U-Pick farm. We brought home about 10 pounds of
raspberries and 5-6 pounds of boysenberries. Yum! Mostly they will be
used to make jam and syrup, but also a few tarts, beginning with the
boysenberries because they are the more fragile of the two. On the way
to the farm, we drove over a covered bridge built in 1913--kinda neat,
makes you think "rural."

Island Jim
Willamette Valley
44.99 N 123.04 W